Saturday, December 6, 2014

Meet the team. Wooplex Development Update

I think it's better to start with really good news. Our demo entered playtesting phase!
Some people already played Wooplex and we have that very very valuable feedback. Thanks to everyone who helped us with it. We really appreciate it.
One more screen from the game :D

Next week (Thursday, December 11th) we are coming to the GDC Games Showfest 2014 at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. It is going to be our first public appearance. We were waiting for this moment for so long.

GDC Games Showfest 2014
In previous update we already showed a very little of the gameplay. Now I think it's time to tell few words about us, people who are making this game.

There are 3 people making Wooplex.

Oles

I am writing code. To be more specific, writing shaders, adding particles and other effects which make the game more visually attractive. I am trying to make Wooplex mechanics more atmospheric.










Ostap

Ostap is writing code too. He is responsible for the game mechanics. He makes everything that at first looks ugly but runs smoothly and beautifuly. If you see something jumping, flying, teleporting in game, - that's his job. For bugs in those things blame him :D







Ihor

My father. He is drawing textures for Wooplex. He is not a professional artist but he really likes photography and painting. We showed him some basics in computer graphics, and now he is doing very well!










The idea for the game appeared to me when I was having a scholarship at the outsourcing company Interlogic in 2012. I was very interested in making shaders and somehow ran into making metaballs.
I would like to say special thanks to my friend Oleksandr Voietsa who helped me a lot during that time of scholarship. With Oleksandr we developed first ever "prototype" of Wooplex.

We all come from Lviv, Ukraine. We started developing this game together in July 2013.

All previous year (July 2013 - July 2014) we were making this game at home in the evenings after work. Wooplex was never funded by anyone. Staying completely indie we were not able to develop it full time. Right now things got a little more extreme. Fulbright gave me the opportunity to continue studying Game Development in the US. In August 2014 I moved to the US. I am very glad for that, of course, but it made 7 hours difference in time between Ostap and me.  For the previous three months we successfully have been fighting with the time barrier. To write the code together one of us should always stay awake at night. Ostap is still working at International Clinic of Rehabilitation making games for disabled children, so usually he is staying awake at night :D.




No comments:

Post a Comment